…there is more to truth than what we call facts…

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Oh, Journalism, Where Have You Gone?

MIDDLE-OF-NOWHERE, Calif.-- Today it was reported that scientists all over the nation finally agree on a definition for Journalism. Dr. Artie Smartie addressed the people of Middle-of-Nowhere today in a hastily prepared press conference. According to Dr. Smartie, Journalism is, "the manner in which news is commissioned in a wholly unintelligible modus operandi". This press conference will most likely create tremendous uproar...

Really? Is that what news has become? Each day, as I read The New York Times, I wonder what the "journalists" are thinking. Since when was it the goal of Journalism to share information in such a convoluted manner? Did you know that the Thursday, September 2, 2009 New York Times has a 28 page front section? Their key story, "Netanyahu Argues That It Takes a Hawk to Forge a Lasting Deal" (don't even get me started on why the title has to be so long) took up 3/4's of the top fold and nearly and entire page on the inside. News is supposed to be concise, true and plain.

So, if this isn't Journalism, what is? Truthfully, I would be hard-pressed to find an example that was not "do what I say and not what I do". It seems that the press has lost sight of the main intention-- to help the general people to be informed. According to Jonathan Kozol, author of "Illiterate America", 50% of American adults cannot read on an 8th grade level1. By that standard, the average American cannot read The New York Times. In fact, I read very well (if I do say so myself) and can still barley understand what The New York Times is trying to tell me. Great.

Considering that I obviously do not consider The New York Times journalism, I obviously must not think too highly of their "Journalists". A journalist is someone who wants to share information. He (or she, I'm a girl-- but being PC all the time drives me insane) wants to be able to let the world know the truth. True journalists are few and far between, but when they appear, listen to their words-- what they say may change your life.

With all of Folly's Frivolity,

Allison Goett

No comments:

Post a Comment