…there is more to truth than what we call facts…

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Where Faith Finds Us

My most significant struggle with journalism is trying to find room for it in my faith.

I realize this is backward from what is normally said, trying to find faith in journalism, but I don't want to live that way. I want journalism to fit to my faith, but sometimes it's as easy as putting square blocks in circular holes.

I look out into this world at the devastation and despair. People are crying out for something to save them, but they don't stop to see what could. Faith is forgotten, cast into a shattered heap with Hope, Love and Charity. Once roaring torches of Truth, people allow their candles to flicker and, sometimes, snuff out. The media craves these stories, not of finding Light, but of overwhelming darkness.

I want to be different.

Religion defines us. More so, Mormonism defines me. I was raised in Georgia, and from an early age I had to learn what was more important to me, praise of man or praising God. In order to be a strong member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, I had to know that my knowledge was true. I had to know what I stood for. Once I had that knowledge--now that I have that knowledge--I cannot deny what I know.

President Bednar has a talk in the September, 2007 Ensign called "Seek Learning By Faith." One of his quotes struck me:

"We recognize that as learners, you and I are to act and be doers of the word and not simply hearers who are only acted upon. "

I am a learner, and I will be for all of my life. I will act upon the things I learn and act upon the things I write. I will not allow myself to be acted upon. My editor assigns me stories, but I write the words. I will not be coerced into acting as the mouthpiece for another person. My bylines will reflect my beliefs.

My journalism and my faith are intricately related. I can have faith without journalism, but I will never have journalism without my faith. Another of my heros, Elder James E. Faust, said this:

"Rather than beginning with a wish list of all the things you want in life, the real question may be what are you not willing to do without."

This September, 1986 Ensign, though dated, is still correct. There are many things I want in life. I could fill libraries with my wants, I could fill encyclopedias with my needs. My lists would wrap around the world as my selfish desires were voiced. However, there is but one thing I am unwilling to do without.

My Faith.

So editors may torment me, critics may scourge me, articles may find me broken, blocked and berated, but I will not, I can not, deny my guiding power. When Faith and Journalism collide I will not be caught in the cross section. Instead I will be lifted upon wings of Faith. Lifted up and kept safe.

With less of Folly's Frivolities and all of Folly's Faith,

Allison Goett

1 comment:

  1. I really appreciated this post. You sound so absolute and confident; it's very admirable. I imagine it will be rare to find an editor with the same understanding you have about how religion should or should not fit into your reporting. I wonder if it would ever come to the point that there were no jobs for journalists who hold onto their own moral code and religious values? I feel like to be P.C and not offend anyone, reporters are either becoming opinion columnists and accepting that 50% will love them and 50% will hate them, or they're becoming robotic reporters who regurgitate the 5 W's and nothing else for fear of public crucifixion. Maybe I'm being dramatic, but I like your angle and I'm hoping others will share it in the business.

    ReplyDelete