…there is more to truth than what we call facts…

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Hey! Big Bro!

Pause with me for a moment.

Think of a world where journalists sent their articles to a government agency before they were published. The agency would then review the article, make their changes and send it back. The journalist would then publish that news, or "news", in the paper. The citizens would then feel informed, happy and comfortable.

Yeah. I wouldn't want to live in that world either. There is a fear that a world like that is what we are leaning towards. Now, I'm not picturing any "1984" stuff going on, and I am not a conspiracy theorist (though I love watching them on TV). I'm just foreseeing this little thing called Political Parallelism, or--as it is know in my notes-- Political //ism. (Remember the applause link from last time, yeah, use that again :D)

Before I talk about this, I want to give you some information about me, well, about my family. My dad is a Disabled Veteran who served in Iraq commanding the Air War. His service has affected my opinions drastically.

I believe that, in some cases, Political //ism is a good thing. The example we were given was the Pentagon Papers. I do not believe this information should have been leaked. I know, I know. As soon as you are done hissing, read on. Every piece of information that we receive, our enemy has also received. Call me un-American, but I don't want the enemies of the country I love to know our national secrets. Give me the Patriot Act any day. If the choice is between saving a killing a few soldiers or leaving me in the dark, I'll turn the lights out myself.

Before you think that I am some sort of radical idealist, I'll tell you-- I am not radical. I just believe that there are more important things than keeping tabs on our government. If you are so afraid, as citizens, to have the people in charge running the country then vote, make a change, advocate for impeachment for all I care.

Just remember this: Sometimes a life is saved when you are sitting in the dark.

With all of Folly's Frivolities,

Allison Goett

P.S. Voltaire said, "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

1 comment:

  1. You're not necessarily a radical, just very conservative. Which is fine; I feel the same way about the Pentagon Papers. It's such a difficult subject--where is the line between giving the people the information they need and deserve and protecting our country's interests? National security comes first in my book.
    Do you think we would have won WWII if the media had covered it as extensively as the war in Iraq? Absolutely not. War is dirty. And I'm OK with not knowing about some things if they protect me, my family, and my freedoms--including the right to be typing this right now!

    ReplyDelete