…there is more to truth than what we call facts…

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Hey Momma! Guess what I learned in School Today...

Talk Back.



Yep. All my life I've been told to take things, to turn the other cheek. I've been told that when I'm in trouble I need to say "Yes Ma'am" and "No Sir." I've learned that children should be seen and not heard. Well, I guess I'm not a child anymore, because today someone told me to talk back, speak out. That person was Josh Awtry, and this is what he told me. 


First, I'm going to start with the depressing-- that way we can get it out of the way and move on with our lives. 


In 2009 one in six readers left USA Today.
In 2009 one in twelve readers left The New York Times.

What does this mean? It means I don't have a job. 

Well, I will have a job, it just won't be how I expected it to be. This next comment is right out of Josh Awtry's mouth... and his powerpoint:

"The future is not in newspaper."

Shoot. This must be a cruel joke. But it isn't. Newspapers are Dying.  P.S. When you hit that link, start singing a song in your head... this is a good one...

Thankfully, this wasn't all he came to tell us. Apparently, there is still hope! We find hope in this wonderful little invention called the Internet. Yeah, I didn't know about it either.

According to Awtry, journalists have to build from the ground up. It's like trying to get a recording company to publish you, If you don't have a following of diehard fans, they won't sign you and give you the backing you need to get diehard fans. Shoot. 

So, he said we should blog. Thank you Prof. Campbell for making us do this-- however my "follower" section isn't nearly up to par... in fact... except for extra credit readers... I'd have to say the only reader of my blog is... 

oh no... I don't even read it! I only write it... 

I'm going to start proofreading just so someone gets to listen to me ramble.

Awtry called this (not the rambling, the blogging) "Build[ing] your brand." So here I go... brick by brick by brick by brick...

Eventually, every thing I do, and everything I work for will combine into whatever I am supposed to do. So, yeah, my future is a giant question mark, but what's new about that? I'll just make sure that I'm prepared, in as many ways as I can be, for that question mark to become clear. 

With all of Folly's Frivolity,

Allison Goett

No comments:

Post a Comment