…there is more to truth than what we call facts…

Thursday, October 21, 2010

...Enter My Mind...

Halloween's coming up, so I don't feel bad about completely scaring you with that request.

But it is a scary proposition.

My mind is a filing cabinet-- relatively organized, but with so many shelves I can't remember what I put where. I think of it as the Church's Family History Library-- extremely useful if I could just figure it out :)

But now to the reason why I am inviting you into my mind. I do not intend to scare, or drum up some sort of hypnosis mind play. I intend to tell you about a visit from Donald Myers of the Salt Lake Tribune and his discussion about the mind of a journalist. Considering I'm an aspiring journalist, my mind seemed a good place to enter.

First things first, my mind needs to be consumed by a desire to be loyal. I need to be loyal to the citizens, to my sources, to myself, to my religion. If my loyalty fails in any of these four things, I will be nothing. I will fail.

My entire life I have told people that my word is gold. If I make a promise, I will come through, no matter what it costs me-- unless I have to sacrifice my ethics. Because of this belief, I know that I can be loyal. So, Check! One thing down.

Myers also discussed how we need to look at the world. Our job-- because of our loyalty-- is to "look out for the powerless" and "hold the powerful accountable." We are expected to collect information, protect the innocent, challenge the guilty and give voice to those who are silent.

That is our job, our calling. Those are the thoughts that should be filling our minds. Be a journalist. Even if you're a scientist! Think like a journalist, watch out for those around you.

Be the Gatekeeper of Your Own Community

With All of Folly's Frivolity,

Allison Goett

No comments:

Post a Comment